John is an experienced business consultant and finance professional, with in-depth knowledge of:
- Management of change
- Strategic planning
- IT business systems
- Business reporting
For over 25 years John has held senior business and accounting roles both nationally and internationally for a range of leading organisations such as Freemantle Media and Fitness First. More recently he has focussed on the non-government sector working as contractor for Argyle Housing, the University of Technology Sydney, Powerhouse Museum and NSW local government (Shellharbour City Council).
John has worked with community housing organisations in Britain and Australia. Recent assignments include:
- Abbeyfield Australia, Victoria: business restructuring, including financial modelling. With Tony Gilmour, 2016
- ACT Government: biannual audit of CHC Affordable Housing (formerly Community Housing Canberra) for ACT Treasury, including financial modelling and risk analysis. With Tony Gilmour, 2013
- Argyle Housing, NSW: Interim Chief Financial officer and project manager Kypera financials, April to September 2017. John was principally responsible for board reporting, systems upgrade and enhancements, building the 2017-18 budget and management reporting. A key achievement was the introduction of an Integrated Management System for business risk and automation of internal processed such as water usage and rate billing
- Community Housing Council of South Australia: stakeholder input and development of the Community Housing Industry Development Framework 2017-2020. With Tony Gilmour, 2016
- NSW Federation of Housing Associations: working with the Federation and a British consultancy on an In Depth Assessment product, 2017
- NSW Federation of Housing Associations: stakeholder research to help the Federation develop new business and events opportunities. With Tony Gilmour, 2016
- Port Phillip Housing Association: business continuity planning, 2017
- Southern Cross Housing, NSW - operational review and benchmarking. With Tony Gilmour, 2016
- Unity Housing, South Australia: operational review and benchmarking. With Tony Gilmour, 2016
The above projects have built on John’s extensive financial modelling and business analysis skills, and allowed him to understand the contemporary delivery of community housing across several jurisdictions. In many assignments John has been the key researcher coordinating interview, focus groups, workshops, data analysis and online surveys.
As well as holding a Business and Commerce degree from Manchester University, John is an associate member of the Chartered Global Institute of Management Accountants. In addition, he holds a Master’s degree in International Studies and Research from the University of Technology, Sydney.